Thursday, October 4, 2012

Clans of the Cherokee, part 8 -- The Wolf Clan

The Aniwaya (people of the Wolf), representing war, is the largest and most prominent clan. They provided most of the war chiefs throughout history and just as the wolf was regarded as a protector, the clan is known as protectors of the people.  In ancient times, they hunted like wolves, running after game and attacking in packs.  They are the keeper and tracker of the wolf. They loved wolves and sometimes raised them in captivity, training wolf pups like dogs.  It was bad luck to kill a wolf, except for the professional wolf killer who knew the proper way to use medicine, magic and conjures to avoid the curse.  They are the only clan who could kill a wolf through their special ceremonies and wolf medicines.

It is their responsibility to develop, maintain and teach the knowledge of loyalty, protection and security as part of achieving the seventh level of personal development.
Shaman painted on ancient shell cup

They were responsible for keeping up to date intelligence for their village or tribe.  They could function as part of the group while maintaining their own individuality.  The clan color if the Aniwaya is red, their wood is hickory and their flag is red with white stars.  At some Oklahoma Cherokee ceremonial grounds the Wolf arbor is to the left of the Blue arbor and they get to drink the black drink first during Stomp dances.

The Black Drink custom dates back to antiquity.  Originally drank from whelk shell cups,  the drink was part of many Cherokee ceremonies including council meetings, preparations for war, and purification.  Made from Youpon Holly leaves and branches, the drink had emetic properties and was sometimes used for purification through ritual vomiting.  The drink was roasted to bring out its caffeine properties and the dark color.  Colonists would later use the leaves for a tea or coffee substitute.  Ceremonies required the drink be served from a communal cup in the order of importance starting with most important visitors and down the ranks.  The wolf clan also used the drink in ceremonial preparations for war.

Notable Surnames: A: Abercrombie, Action, Adams, Allen, Atkins, Atkinson B: Badger, Beaver, Bell, Black Fox, Blades, Bledsol, Bloom, Bloomfield, Boodinaugh, Bowles, Boxturtle, Bradberry, Broom (Nancy), Brown (Sarah), Bugg C: Canoe, Caudle, Chandler, Cloudy Parks, Coateney, Coin, Coseen, Coughmann, Coxs, Cupp, Custalow D: Doekiller, Dragging Canoe, Dull Knife E: Easton, English F: Fall, Fire Carrier, Foose, Forbush G: Grite, Grundy H: Hand, Highpine, Hilderbrand, Hill, Huganen I: Inlow J: James, Justice (Lena) K: Keener, Kicks, Kickupp, Kitch L: Linser, Little Fellow, Little Owl, Littlefield, Long, Long Fellow, Long Limper, Lowery M: Mackey, Mills (Elvis) N: Neal, Neil, Nionee, Nution O: Oldham, Ooneeghdeehee R: Raiper, Riddle, Rider, Ridge S: Sain, Samson, Sharp, Sheepkiller, Starr, Straw T: Tame Doe, Thimble, Todd, Towie, Tranquatti, Tsiyugigaghy, Tucker, Turkey at Home, Turtle U: Uhlery W: Wade, Waite, Walker, Ward, Ward (Nancy), Watie, White, White Dog, White Horn, White Mankiller, Wise, Wolfe, Wood(s)

46 comments:

  1. This describes my family, I have always been wolf like, my favorite color is red and we are all protectors of others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came across this looking up my family history i got as far as great great great history to have some proof of being in the Cherokee bloodlin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in the same boat...good luck!!! It is hard work, but hang in there!!!

      Delete
    2. Such a fresh of breath air ppl looking for who we really are I am Cherokee of the wolf clan also just found out and I’m so ready to take back our land our ancestors fought and died for

      Delete
    3. My heritage.com is a good place to search

      Delete
    4. Federal dawes roll

      Delete
  3. Wow this is a an amazing site I'm actually looking for my biological fathers family and through research I found I'm related to a Nancy ward.and a guy named little fellow.and some connections to a family with moytoy??..and I never knew about clans or that the wolf clan was a really important one.im not a nutty Anglo working on a hunch haha I just never knew my dad or his family and I kinda have to check the paternal for medical reasons but also understanding and got more than I bargained for.thanks for this info it's most helpful and interesting.sincerely Lolaruth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting. My family history also refers to Nancy Ward (Nanye-hi) https://www.allthingscherokee.com/nancy-ward/

      Dee Purkeypile

      Delete
    2. I have a similar story and found to be related to Motoy. John Sherman Horn and Niomi (Oma) Tipton Horn are my grandparents.

      Delete
    3. Hello, I am African American and through ancestry.com possibly related to Nancy Ward Nan Ye Hi and her son Major John Walker. Go Wolf Clan!

      Delete
  4. Aimez le clan du loup!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So Chief Broom is my 8th great grandfather.. On my Aunt's deathbed, I was given a series of lineage documents. Does anyone know what I should to next to keep our heritage alive and to allow my daughters to, as well?
    empsbrian@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello cousin. I’m the 5Th Great Grandson of Katherine Katie Bushyhead. I’m very interested in any information about OUR Cherokee families. I’ll say if you have family papers be sure to get this information on the internet in your family’s name and clan. My clan is the paint clan. And Holly Blue clan. I live in South Carolina. My email address text me M.K.WHET@GMAIL.COM. Or text my cell 803-878-2523 safe Travels

      Delete
  6. I have always heard the stories and seen our family traditions.. but when I seen it in black and white.. I was overwhelmed with pride and its essential for history and heritage to let these thing slip off into history.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was alot of help my grandfather's Jessie Vickers mother was of the deer or wolfklan really enjoyed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was alot of help my grandfather Jessie Vickers his mother was of the deer or wolf klan

      Delete
  8. Wow. Ive bknown I was natuve American for a while amd I found this because unwanted to research mt heritage. I did some research and I found out that my ancestor was a shaman of the Aniwaya. That actually makes sense because ive always been able to track animals easily after my first time visiting my grandfather on the reservation

    ReplyDelete
  9. So in that list of names, Hilderbrand is from my family tree, my great great grandmother!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is there any legend about the tribe shifting into wolves

    ReplyDelete
  11. Who is the Shaman and how do I get in touch with him or her?

    ReplyDelete
  12. My Dad’s family have maintained their connection to an Oklahoma Cherokee tribe all my life with no proof to provide. We were told due to prejudice at the time, family destroyed birth records in fear. I see a physical resemblance to that of Billy Walkabout and would like to learn more for me and my family

    ReplyDelete
  13. My great great great great grandparents were Raven feather aka Eliza Simpkins and James Harrison Simpkins

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm not sure if I belong here or not. My Gma was raised in NC by Americus (a Cherokee). She supposedly was born via Mary Adams in 1888/1889 but the 1890 census lists Americus as her mother and the only photos we have (one) is of her and Americus. Americus doesn't fit my image of a Native American. She's wearing a long dress and holding my Gma....I guess I was expecting a Pocahontus kind of relative????

    ReplyDelete
  15. My kids paternal ggggrandmother was Nancy Jane Heatherly Raincrow. The daughter of Mary Hester Raincrow.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My great x2 gma louvenia cooper fields was a cherokee born in Va im in the process of diggin up my roots. Its a battle to say the least. Anyone havr family in va and n.c and s.c dont hesitate to reach out. Maybe we can help each other

    ReplyDelete
  17. My Indian Ancestors were the Wolf Clan cherokee. The Cherokee Downing Family. My 4 Great Granma is the Madian of the Downing Family. She married Judge Franklin Fuakner. Her madian was Pettit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made a little mistake in my spelling . My 4 greatmother name is Nancy Pettit Faulkner, who Judge Franklin Faulker.

      Delete
  18. Judge Franklin Fualkner was also the wagon master of the Cherokee Trail of Tears. My name is John Wilson .

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well Good News we are apart for the Strongest Tribe well Respected. My Father would always do the Wolf Call I was about 24 when I hear him wolf call which means he or they are coming Amazing our parents , grand parents etc always left Clue's just sit relax think back of the time in your childhood they where great story tellers Janetta Ward madien name Ward . See you later

    ReplyDelete
  20. Family and Friends, from the Broom Town family lineage.. I hope all is well. Stay Strong, & My Our Days Stay Blessed!
    ✊️🐺

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am a desecentand of wolf clan my eight grandfather is kanatoga Moytoy old hop standing turkey larry

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nancy & Chief Broom.. Documents leading straight to my Grandfather... we live in the back yard of Gen.PRESIDENT Andrew Jackson. When I was young, we would pass the entrance of the Hermitage and Granddaddy would always spit at the entrance.... It wasn't till I was grown that my Grandmom explained the Trail of Tears.. Granddaddy told us he can have his tears back, and lived here intentionally. Now that's loyalty!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I’m Larry decentands of the wolf clan many of ancestors were Christians and attended Moravian church I’m starting a pray request line scented your request to larrywilma@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. November is Native American heritage month

    ReplyDelete
  25. Today November 11 2022 is Veterans Day thanks to all who served to all wolves keep on fighting for our family’s

    ReplyDelete

  26. So proud to live.. So proud to die. ✊️🐺

    ReplyDelete
  27. Be thankful to creator for life for food the earth and its fullness be thankful each day not just one be thankful for your moccasins because don’t have feet may Yahweh bless all

    ReplyDelete
  28. My name is Larry potter wolf clam I’m a 70year old Vietnam veitam im CoG preacher for fifthty year pastor I’m starting a outdoor Native American prayer circle at 700 deep water road crossville Tennessee zip 38571 date April 29 2023 outdoors email larrywilma@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Larry Jeffery Michael Potter Donna Moore Anita Finally Linda Leach are wolf clan descendants of the Moytoys

    ReplyDelete
  30. I didn’t realize how few are left my grandmother and her mother were registered with this tribe I have a big family but only a couple have registered I have been debating on it one of my issues with it is the papers look exactly like AKC dog paper s and my mom’s family are choctaw and they were and still worry if we register and one day come after us again they know who we all are i and my siblings my do it anyway

    ReplyDelete
  31. With so few it looks like we need to start having more kids need to bring up our population or we’ll all end up being a future fairy tale

    ReplyDelete
  32. We’re not registered but 3 of my grandparents were and my uncle’s are I have price and Moore on each side of my family

    ReplyDelete
  33. My seventh grandmother was granny hopper McDaniel she married John David McDaniel Rachel Chamber born McDaniel my sixth grandmother married Charles tilson Chamber half Cherokee this some of my ancestors granny hopper McDaniel was wolf Rachel McDaniel was wolf her daughter was wolf Rachel Agnes Chamber was wolf Larry potter if some of these people are your ancestors are your people well hello cuz. Larry potter

    ReplyDelete
  34. So thankful that my ancestors were wolf on my mother side we are blessed if you are of the wolf clan post something nice

    ReplyDelete